PAD has a proven experience in implementing urban wash projects especially latrines for the general public and toilets in facilities. In its previous projects, PAD effectively built communal and public latrines; menstrual and hygiene management rooms and disability friendly toilets in its school WASH projects.
School latrines constructed under its project completed and handed over at the planned time period. Software activities that include different training and awareness raising workshops and campaigns related to institutional WASH also contributed to positive changes in target areas, especially in schools. These have included an increase in schools with improved and sex-separated sanitation facilities for students. The proportion of schools with clean sanitation facilities and with handwashing facilities has also increased, though it remains low as compared with the overall country level targets. The number of schools with Health Clubs, latrine cleaning programs, menstrual health and hygiene (MHH) awareness and dedicated MHH rooms has increased as well.
WASH in Education programs
- Oral hygiene and proper handwashing
- Provision of safe and adequate water supply
- Provision of toilet, handwashing, and drainage facilities
- Environmental sanitation (including the elimination of breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry the dengue virus) and solid waste management
- Distributing hygiene kits for girls’ students
- Providing awareness raising sessions on personal hygiene.
- PAD constructed water Bono and IOM toilets & Shower so that Unemployed youths earn income providing WASH service for the community.